There are many languages spoken across the northern kingdoms. Listed below are the commonest and where they are spoken.
- Sammatic - Ancient language not natively spoken for over 4000 years. Some ancient magical texts or items may be written in Sammatic. The access obelisks for the extensive lay-line web are carved with Sammatic words. Now only known to a handful of loremasters and sages. The language is never spoken as the true pronunciation of the script has been lost.
- Annan - Ancient language spoken throughout the Annan empire. Relatively well known amongst scholars and mages as many ancient and magical texts are written in the tongue.
- Tibryn - An ancient language that is the source of many on Tarnberyth's modern languages. Rarely spoken and known to a few loremasters and scholars. Only found in old books, maps etc.
- Aetharryn - The ancient High-Elven language. Many magical texts are witten in the langauge. Not spoken for over a thousand years.
Modern Human Languages.
- Highlander - Spoken throughout the Highlands by the Tamaraith clans.
- Vale - Highlander derivative. Spoken in the Vale of Erryn.
- Vanloran -Highlander derivative. Spoken in Vanlor and parts of western Eldridge.
- Gorlasan -Highlander derivative. Spoken in Gorlas and Andrea.
- High Pendarish - Spoken by the ruling classes of Pendaran.
- Tradespeak - Derivative of High Pendarish spoken by traders and travelers across the north. Not a true language as it has a small trade based vocabulary. Often augmented by the local language so does vary from country to country.
- Saith - Spoken by the clansmen of Saith Island, the Saith kingdoms of Kaylonna and Tarnberyth and across Jotunland.
- Eldran - A derivative of Tibryn/Annan spoken in Eldridge.
- Hannoran - A derivative of Tibryn spoken in Hannor and Larosh.
- Caladan - Another Tibryn derivative. Spoken in Calador, Velwyth and Dabron.
- Cambrian - A Tibryn/Annan derivative. Spoken in Cambria and Orla.
- Krondan - Spoken in Kronda. A Tibryn derivative.
- Middian - A Tibryn derivative. Spoken in Midwinter.
- Zalian - A Tibryn/Annan derivative spoken in Zale.
- Tunan - Language of the Horselords of Ambledale.
- Jabari - Spoken in the Al Jabar, and the Hammatic city-states.
- Bwandi - Spoken by the savannah tribes of Jehilla and in the Black Kingdoms.
- Lutari - Spoken by the Lutari gypsy clans.
- Shamot - Spoken by bronze-age tribes of Starkwood
- Thessan - Spoken by the Horse Nomads of the Thessali Desert.
- Targan - Spoken by the barbarian tribes of the Targe and northern Wyrmsdown.
- Quarthen -
- Griffany -
- Dwarrow - Language of the Dwarves.
- Rhuak - Language of the Rhuakim tribes.
- Inularryn - The language of the Wood Elves.
- Ilaryn - Language of the Grey Elves, those who fled to the realm of the faerie.
- Drutharyn - Spoken by the Shadow Elves, the Grey elves who were corrupted by Zaw.
- Vashtuk - The Bugbear and Hobgoblin tongue.
- Graduk - One of the main goblin tongues, spoken in the Goblin Marches and the Wyrmsdown.
- Sheduk - One of the main goblin tongues, spoken by the western tribes.
- Starruk - One of the main goblin tongues, spoken by the forest tribes of Starkwood far to the east.